Tuesday 11 June 2024

Reviewn June 7: Candied Violets

Every few days in June I’m picking a TTRPG book that’s been languishing on my shelf or hard drive, reading it, and writing a review. I don’t believe in attempting a full critique of game content I haven’t run or played, so my focus will be on discussing the work’s best ideas and keeping criticisms to text-level quibbles.

Here’s a short one at 7 pages. I read through Candied Violets: The Sweet Treat RPG, an indie game by Monroe Soto. It’s one of a bunch of games I got together in the “Your Best Games” Indie TTRPGs bundle on itch.io.

I found it to be a relaxing read, a light-hearted cooperative storytelling game. It's Beatrix Potter meets Great British Bake Off, with woodland creatures as characters and judges.

It's done with bright block colours, a mixture of vivid hues and something closer to pastels, with baking photos like a magazine. The updated version available is a little easier on the eye for casual reading.

List of woodland animals

Amusingly for the short length and low-stakes format, Candied Violets does include a way to lose.

Minor text quibbles:

  • It assumes familiarity with terms like ‘advantage’ and ‘disadvantage’ specific to D&D 5e. Have those become terms of art? Perhaps they have.
  • One place in the light rules could do with a little more explanation: “Pick a skill and assign the appropriate modifiers of 0, +1, +2, +3, and +4” seems underdetermined.

My favourite bit:

The judges having randomly determined allergies. There's perhaps room for high drama to enter play here, beyond that already implied by the instruction “Try not to set anything on fire.”

Where to get it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playtesting D&D monsters

I've been running quite a lot of playtests recently, so thought I'd talk about a few of the ins and outs of the process. This is thr...